– ECU Head Women's Basketball Coach Heather Macy
announced the 2018 signing class on Monday afternoon. Tiara Chambers, Nique Cherry and Kaylee Jefferson all signed National Letters of Intent to attend ECU and play basketball for the Pirates in the fall of 2018.
"After securing a large and impactful signing class in 2017, we were very particular with the young ladies that we recruited for the 2018 signing class," Macy said. "I am so excited to introduce Tiara, Nique and Kaylee to our ECU family. The three of them already represent what Pirates are all about. These three signees will help our program make another big jump in the 2018-19 season and beyond."
Tiara Chambers – [F • 6'3'' • Portsmouth, Va.]
• 6-foot-3 forward from Portsmouth, Va.
• Four-year letterwinner at I.C. Norcom High School under head coach Anthony Chappelle
• Ranked #146 by the All-Star Girls Report, the highest rated high school recruit under Macy
• Was named to the all-freshman team in 2015
• Led the Greyhounds to an 18-9 record in 2016 as the Greyhounds won both a conference and region championship
• Earned first team all-conference and second team all-region honors as a sophomore
• Named first team all-conference and second team all-region again as a junior following a 10-14 season
• Lettered in three other sports (golf, soccer and volleyball) at I.C. Norcom
• Plays AAU for Boo Williams EYBL under head coach Boo Williams
• Plans to major in biology
Macy on Chambers
"Tiara has the ability to have a major impact on both ends of the floor. As a post player, she was highly sought after during the recruiting process and we are fortunate to make her a Pirate. She exemplifies what we want off and on the court in our student-athletes. Her potential is through the roof and we are ecstatic to have her join our ECU family!"
Nique Cherry – [F • 6'0'' • Laurel, Miss.]
• 6-foot forward from Laurel, Miss.
• Ranked #26 JuCo recruit by All-Star Girls Report
• Led Jones County Junior College (MS) to a 30-2 record as freshman
• Earned first team all-state, all-region accolades as a freshman at JCJC and was named all-America honorable mention
• Averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds per game as a freshman
• Helped Jones County to a Mississippi State Championship and Region 23 Championship in 2017
• Attended Heidelberg High School where she was team captain and helped the Oilers to a Mississippi State Runner-Up finish in 2016
• During her senior campaign at LHS she averaged 18 points and 16 rebounds while the Oilers posted a 32-1 record
Macy on Cherry
"Nique is a competitor and a hard worker that will do anything we ask of her on the court because she wants to be great. She has a personality that will help our team both on the court and in the locker room. We are excited to have Nique bring her leadership experience to Pirate Nation!"
Kaylee Jefferson – [G • 6'0'' • Sulphur Springs, Texas]
• 6-foot guard from Sulphur Springs, Texas
• Three-year letterwinner for Sulphur Springs High School
• Averaged 9.5 points and seven rebounds as a freshman en route to being named Newcomer of the Year
• As a sophomore helped the Wildcats to a 26-7 record including a 12-2 District 16-5A slate while averaged 14.9 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 2.4 steals per game
• Named the District 16-5A MVP as a sophomore
• In 2017 SSHS went 26-4 overall and undefeated in the district (12-0)
• Averaged 14.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and was named Offensive MVP
• Helped Sulphur Springs to back-to-back District 16-5A Championships in 2016 & 2017
• Played for the DFW Elibe EYBL and Texas United 15U EYBL AAU teams
• Member of the National Honors Society and ranks top-5 academically in her graduating class
• Intends to major in biology
Macy on Jefferson
"Kaylee has the ability to defend multiple positions on the court – a trait that we keyed in on for this 2018 signing class. She is tough as nails and will bring a Pirate mentality to our team as she consistently makes winning plays. Offensively, her game is expanding and we can't wait to have her here in an ECU uniform!"